Article Search

Search By Author:
Search By Keyword:
Search By Topic:

Article Search

 Destination Wedding Planning: International Travel
Destination Wedding Planning: International Travel

There are over 250 U.S. embassies and consulates around the world. After contacting the Tourism Bureau for the area you will be traveling to, it is also a wise idea to contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for that region. With assistance from both of these sources you will be able to determine the travel requirements and recommendations for your chosen travel destination. Within this section you will find numerous resources to assure all of your questions and concerns are addressed before you travel.

Call for a list of U.S. embassy and consulate locations with emergency phone numbers: (202) 647-5225 or visit


Your travel agent should be able to provide you with information to adequately prepare you for your international travels. Additional information (and possibly more detailed and current information) can be obtained by contacting the appropriate sources listed in this section.

As a U.S. citizen, you generally need a passport to enter and to depart most foreign countries and to reenter the United States. Some countries also require Visas. A Visa is an endorsement by officials of a foreign country as permission to visit their country. You first need a passport in order to obtain a Visa. Inquire with the resources listed in this section for requirements of your specific destination.

As mentioned, you will be required to prove your U.S. citizenship upon reentry to the United States. If the country of your destination does not require you to possess a current passport, you will still need to produce proof of citizenship for U.S. Immigration. Items that are acceptable as proof of citizenship include a passport, a certified copy of your Birth Certificate, a Certificate of Nationalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States. Proof of identification can include a driver's license or a government or military identification card containing a photo or physical description.

NOTE: The bride should have her passport and airline tickets reflect her maiden name for ease in proof of identification while traveling. Name changes can be processed after returning from the honeymoon with your marriage certificate.

Your passport will be one of the most important documents you will take with you. Contact the local U.S. Embassy immediately if your passport becomes lost or stolen. Have a photocopy of your passport's data page, date and place of issuance, and passport number to be kept with a contact person at home. You should also travel with a set of these photocopies in addition to an extra set of loose passport photos for speed in attaining a replacement.

Passports can be obtained from one of the 13 U.S. Passport Agencies (listed later in this section) or one of the thousands of authorized passport locations, such as state and federal courts as well as some U.S. Post Offices (check in the Government Listings section of your phone book).

Currently, the cost to obtain a passport is $97.00 (application fee is $67, execution fee is $30) for ages 16 and up. For ages under 16 years a passport is $82.00 (application fee is $52, execution fee is $30). If you have had a passport in the past, contact a passport agency to find out if you are eligible to apply through the mail. You will want to apply for your passport several months before your trip, keeping in mind that January through July is a busier time and the process may take longer.

In addition to calling the U.S. Passport Agencies for personal assistance, you can also call their 24-hour recorded information lines for information on agency locations, travel advisories and warnings, and Consular Information Sheets pertaining to every country in the world.

Travel Advisory Updates are also available 24 hours a day by calling: The Department of State's Office of Overseas Citizens' Services at: (202) 647-5225

Additional, and very helpful, official information for U.S. citizens regarding international travel can be found at:

Foreign embassies and consulates located in the U.S. can provide current information regarding their country. You can locate phone numbers and addresses in the following:
The Congressional Directory
Foreign Consular Offices in the United States
(both available at your local library)

Wedding  | Honeymoon  | Wedding Registry  | Wedding Gifts  | Map 1  | Wedding Dress  | Wedding Planning  | Engagement Ring  | Wedding Website | Wedding Photography  | Map 2  | Wedding Videographers  | Wedding Cakes  | Map 3  | Map 4  | Wedding Flowers  | Wedding Services  | Map 5  | Other Wedding Resources  | Map 6 | Wedding Photographers  | Wedding Bands  | Map 7  | Wedding Limousines  | Map 8  | Wedding Receptions  | Wedding Planners  | Wedding Caterers  | Wedding Favors  | Wedding Rings  | Wedding Gowns  | Gift Registry

Other Popular Wedding Services:  | Bachelor Party  | Bachelorette Party  | Beauty Salons  | Bridal Accessories  | Bridal Alterations  | Bridal Boutiques  | Bridal Gowns  | Caterers  | Day Spa  | Dj  | Engagement Ring  | Jewelry Appraisal  | Limousine  | Lingerie  | Party Rentals  | Photographers  | Real Estate  | Rehearsal Dinner  | Travel Agents  | Videographers  | Wedding Balloons  | Wedding Bands  | Wedding Cakes  | Wedding Caterers  | Wedding Ceremony Sites  | Wedding Consultant  | Wedding Dj  | Wedding Dress Shops  | Wedding Dresses  | Wedding Favors  | Wedding Flowers  | Wedding Gifts  | Wedding Gowns  | Wedding Music  | Wedding Stores  | Wedding Videographer

Press Release |  Terms |  Feedback

© Copyright 2009 by Wedding Solutions Publishing Inc.